try changing it to

def initialize( *args )

the * means that it takes a variable number of parameters as an niput
to the method, I think youd use it like this

def my_method( *args )

    if args.length ==2
        puts "arg[0] is " + arg[0]
    else
        puts "you didnt supply 2 args"

my_method( 2,3)     # produces arg[0] is 2
my_method( 4,5,6)  # produces you didnt supply 2 args

Paul