Al,

It necessary for me to specify the cache directory?  (Or can you
confirm for where the correct place is to place the cache directory?)
Here is what I have tried so far:

p:\Jeff>gem install watir -l
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeEr
    Error instaling watir:
        watir requires commonwatir = 1.6.2

p:\Jeff>gem install watir -l -i p:\jeff\cache
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    Error instaling watir:
        watir requires commonwatir = 1.6.2

In the first case, I put the cache in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems
\1.8\cache.  In the second case, I tried another directory (I am not
sure if that is what the -i option is for).  Since the commonwatir gem
is in the cache, apparently it is not looking at my copied cache.

Jeff