Not to further hammer the point here, but I've found that this message
board has provided MANY helpful how-to's and JIRA bugs for WATIR.
When an issue is discovered that has not been discussed previously,
someone always asks the original poster to update the Wiki or log a
JIRA bug.  So, now that you've isolated this issue, adding it to the
Wiki will save everyone else who stumbles across it the
troubleshooting time, and the merry cycle continues.

I absolutely understand the frustration with some open source
products, but I've always felt Watir's documentation (and more so its
community) to be very helpful, which is also why I feel even more
encouraged to respond to posts here more than other groups when I do
have something useful to add.