This is an open note to all Watir users, despite my personalization.

  The older one click installers had this checked on by default I believe.
It's not common on other systems - Linux, Mac - and the new installer from
what I recall as my systems are going down, doesn't explicitly set that
value. There are arguments against pulling rubygems in, you can take a look
on google for the rationale for and against.

 Possibly it's time to update some of the examples or docs with that
information. Feel free to put it on the wiki or get involved with
documentation if you have the time. Once I get my machines back online and
settled up, I should have some free nights or weekends to work on Watir and
updating docs.

Watir is a community supported effort, I'm sorry you feel the documentation
is lacking, while the core members and others use it in our day jobs,
we're all volunteers on pushing Watir forward, so we do what we can and what
we know. I work with a lot of modal_dialogs, most people don't, so I've been
a champion of that as well as my general work on Watir, some people deal
with file download dialogs, I don't, so it's less of a priority for me and
therefore harder to work on.

 As opposed to criticizing, I would love to have positive feedback and
involvement. This is a community of people who are trying to push forward
from some of the traditional heavyweight tooling around test automation.
There are a lot of blogs that go into detail about various things you can do
with Watir and we certainly try to incorporate that into the documentation.

 That being said, if there's some lack of documentation, that you can
provide, there are several if not more people who can help you out in
writing that or modifying our existing documentation. Contact the core
members if you want to get involved, post on the list if you have questions
or answers.

  We're more than happy to have additional volunteers, and will help you out
to get started. As an open source project we're always looking for
volunteers, testing on various systems, documentation, coding, answering
questions, graphics, presenting at your local user group, etc.

Charley Baker
Lead Developer, Watir, http://watir.com
QA Architect, Gap Inc Direct