now I've changed the setting so that the powerpoint would be opened without
file download prompt.

now I need to focus on that already opened powerpoint and do some testing
through ruby.

earlier i was saving the powerpoint ( clicking the save button from that
file download prompt) and opening the same ppt as

 ppt = WIN32OLE.new('PowerPoint.Application')

        ppt.Visible = true

       * **doc = ppt.Presentations.Open('C:\Documents and Settings\sinhaa\My
Documents\JHEPAT_2010_VOL51_PG845.ppt')*

        slidecount = doc.Slides.Count
puts slidecount

but now as ppt already opened so rather than opening the ppt i should be
able to directly count the slides on that ppt.
i tried with below code but it seems not working. any thoughts???
ppt = WIN32OLE.new('PowerPoint.Application')

        ppt.Visible = true

  slidecount = doc.Slides.Count

puts slidecount

Regards