On May 8, 8:12 am, Jarmo Pertman <jarm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe this is a completely different problem? Maybe we should ask,
> what is the main reasons why classes get extended or monkey-patched.
> Maybe
> there even isn't so many users who have been doing that or do we know
> that for certain that there really is?

I know that this has happened a lot at my company (Convio). Sometimes
it is to fix a bug -- I'm working to merge these changes back in.
Sometimes it is to handle an odd application-specific problem.
Sometimes it is to add new, convenience methods that maybe we should
add to Watir as well.

> I, myself, have been doing these only if there's something broken or
> not working well and after that i have been trying (and will try even
> more) to push
> these changes into main Watir's codebase.

Thanks for your help with this.

If we change the class names, it not only causes compatibility
problems, but it also makes it nearly impossible to accept these kinds
of fixes. We have a backlog of submitted fixes in pull requests and
jira, and it seems like the right thing to do would be to process
these submissions before changing the class names.

Bret