My experience is, new generation of Web applications with rich UI
depend on HTML code generated automatically  by tools, rather than
semi automated generated code or hand crafted HTML code in past. HTML
code generated by such  applications is generally use lots of
Divs,spans and not to watir friendly element Ids.

I selected Gmail as this seems to be falling in this category and has
fun while learning element to it

cheers