I'll give that a shot.   It might fix the other issue I'm having which
is an outright 'crash' of the ruby CLI which appears to be caused by
the OS thinking it's accessing memory it shouldn't (it appears that
the OS shuts it down due to a DEP violation (Data Execution
Prevention)

gah this is going to be a fest of uninstall-install I bet..  wheeeee