Tim,

I'm not saying he's a spammer..  (but one could be watching)

I'm applying the LART with such vigor because he's been told about 4
times 'can't do that' and he keeps asking as if we're not telling him
the truth or the answer will somehow change, or there is some 'secret
solution' using some 'magic gem' that we're just not telling him
about.

(shhhhh don't tell anyone, but if you find the config.sys file and put
"User equals-sign ID ten T" on the first line in that file that will
make it work)

and btw  if he CAN break the captcha using any of the tools you
suggest, I'd recommend he notify his client that they need a better
captcha, since if it wont stop him, then it's not likely to stop the
spammers.

BTW  want to know how spammers break captchas?  they crowdsource it.
They pay people in lesser developed nations something like a tenth of
a cent per captcha solved.  they use scripts that capture that part of
the screen, send the image to a system that sends it to someone logged
into to it who 'solves' the puzzle and sends the 'solution' back to
the spammer's script where it is entered and then they can submit
their spam.  since most captchas are just random numbers and letters
you dont even have to speak a foreign language to get such a job..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/technology/26captcha.html?_r=1&hpw

So assuming that his client wants to pay for this service, there is a
way around it (which as I said, puts a human in the loop)