gem uninstall commonwatir -v 1.6.5

See if that fixes or changes the error.   Also as Zeljko suggests try
using

Watir::Browser.new   instead of  Watir::IE.new

If that does not work, show us what you have for require statments etc
at the top of your script..

You might also try updating to a newer version of Ruby (1.9.2) , but I
don't think that's the problem, so I'd wait to do that after you get
things working.  (1.8.7 is getting a little behind the times at this
point, and a lot of materials and other things you will find from this
point forward are likely to presume 1.9.x versions of Ruby)