If using an AutoIt adapter doesn't help you too then that means the
problem has to be somewhere deeper and i'm not sure how to go forward
with this without being able to reproduce it and debug it.

You could try focusing the field and using #send_keys, maybe these
would give you different results:
file_path =
"C:\\Users\\user\\QA_Global\\Automation\\MAIN\\Regression-watir3\
\artifacts \\120215_1615\\export_output\\rec_detail_reportCSV"
save_as = RAutomation::Window.new(:title => "Save As")
edit = save_as.text_field(:class => "Edit")
#execute this line in one step in IRB to avoid losing focus in between
calls - should return file path - sleep 3 specified to allow verifying
also manually that the file path is set correctly
edit.focus; edit.set(file_path); edit.value; sleep 3; edit.focus;
save_as.button(:value => "&Save").click

If that works then you can probably lose sleep statement.

And solution 2:
file_path =
"C:\\Users\\user\\QA_Global\\Automation\\MAIN\\Regression-watir3\
\artifacts \\120215_1615\\export_output\\rec_detail_reportCSV"
save_as = RAutomation::Window.new(:title => "Save As")
edit = save_as.text_field(:class => "Edit")
#execute this line in one step in IRB to avoid losing focus in between
calls - should return file path - sleep 3 specified to allow verifying
also manually that the file path is set correctly
edit.send_keys(file_path); edit.value; sleep 3; save_as.button(:value
=> "&Save").click

Make sure that your keyboard is set to use US Layout, since all these
special characters are sent by pressing automatically shift and other
key combinations.

Let us know if these solutions helped you or not. I'm really running
out of ideas here if i can't reproduce it myself - sorry :(

Jarmo