You haven't provided this information, and I'm not an expert in
watir-webdriver, so I'm going to have to rely on my psychic debugging powers.
My psychic powers tell me you're running Internet Explorer 10 or 11, and since
you're on a 64-bit version of Windows, you assumed you should use the 64-bit
version of IEDriverServer.exe. That is incorrect. Even if you're on 64-bit
Windows, and even if you think you're running 64-bit IE, you're not. The
"content" process is still a 32-bit process. This issue and its root cause are
discussed in some detail in the Selenium issue tracker[1].

Of course, my psychic powers occasionally fail me, and I do have a bit of a
cold at the moment so I could be off base. Also, I've no idea if
watir-webdriver bundles a version of IEDriverServer.exe in the gem. If it does,
I'd have to assume that the package maintainer has done the right thing
including the 32-bit executable.

--Jim

[1] http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=5116