I am using Ruby 2.0.0 with Watir-Classic 4.2.0 on Windows 7 64 bit with
IE11.

I have a script that works entirely fine when working with IE8. A button is
clicked, the next page loads, and the expected functionality continues
until the end of the script.

However, I'm running into an issue when running the same script on a
machine with IE11 running with the site in compatibility mode.

When I click the same button, the entire WATIR process seems to lock up. I
eventually get a timeout and the script fails.  Once the script fails, I
attempt to maximize the window and take a screenshot. This can take
anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes after the process locks up (which is
not normal, it usually only take a moment to take a screenshot). While this
is occurring, I also can not attach to the browser through an IRB session.
 The same steps can still be performed manually without issue - I can click
the button just fine and the next page loads, so this is an automation only
issue.

Another weird part is this is NOT 100% of the time, and occurs on my
machine and our webapps with about 80% repeatability. Sometimes the script
continues normally, which leads me to believe this is some sort of race
condition with compat mode. Even weirder is the fact that my colleague, who
has the same system setup as mine, does not run into this issue - though
his machine does tend to run slower than mine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for working around this issue? We need to
upgrade to IE11 for other scripts, but obviously cannot until we resolve
this issue.

Thanks.