Neil Roberts wrote:

You are advocating requiring *both* clients and compositors to be able
to draw decorations. Why make it so complicated?

No, I didn't say that at all. I am saying that in xdg-shell we need to
specify that either CSD is required or SSD is required.

Okay, you are now saying the same thing I have been: the compositor tells the client whether to draw CSD or not, and the client cannot refuse.

Before it sounded like you were advocating the client telling the compositor to draw SSD. I do not want that because it will cause clients to exist that assume it will work.