On 11 Aug 2014, at 12:57 PM, Giulio Camuffo wrote:

>>> The right way is to have a protocol designed for that. A taskbar
>>> should use some taskbar_protocol with a request like
>>> put_on_edge(edge), and the compositor will then move the surface on
>>> the edge and do slide in/out or whatever effect it wants to.
>>
>> I understand the advantage of taking a higher-level approach.  But then
>> someone thinks of something for which the scenario-specific protocol doesn't
>> suffice.  If windows could move themselves, it might be more flexible.  It
>> may be too low-level, but it's hard to think of any other protocol that is
>> universal enough, which I suppose is why it's not standardized.
>
> The problem is that windows don't always have a meaningful position.
> If a window is shown on two outputs at the same time, maybe one of
> which a remote one, what is the window position?

On X11 (and other window systems) all outputs are mapped into the "virtual
desktop" space, side-by-side or overlapping or whatever, so that there is a
unified coordinate system.  On Wayland there is not this assumption?

> And what is the
> position of a window rotated 45 degrees?

Something could be made up; perhaps the position should always be the centroid
instead of the upper-left? (although in other use cases that would be less
convenient)  Rotation doesn't make sense without a center of rotation either.

>> What about when a window provides its own "skinned" window decorations:
>> there will probably be some area in which you can drag to move the window,
>> as you normally can on the titlebar.  Is there another protocol for that?
>> How would that be different from a generic protocol which windows could use
>> to position themselves?
>
> wl_shell_surface/xdg_surface have a "move" request. The clients call
> that and then the compositor actually does the moving.

So interactive moving only, but nothing to ask programmatically for a window to
be moved by some delta.