On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:30:52 -0500
nerdopolis <bluescreen_aven...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Friday, January 18, 2019 5:20:40 PM EST Derek Foreman wrote:
> > Also, I'd like to float the idea of removing the fbdev backend for this
> > release (or the next).  The bulk of the interesting features target the
> > drm backend, and it feels like fbdev can sometimes be a bit of a pain to
> > update when changes are required elsewhere.  Any strong opinions either way?

> I feel like the fbdev backend is a good fallback still. Maybe not for Virtual
> Box anymore, since there is now a driver for it in Mainline (I haven't tested
> it personally though) ...Currently the Framebuffer backend is the only way to
> get Weston working on some obscure hardware such as UDL/DisplayLink2 devices.

Hi,

do you actually have a use case for that? It's ok if you do, we can
keep it around for some more, but the simple fact that some hardware
exists that does not have a working DRM driver is not enough. There
should be users too.

The fbdev-backend certainly has its shortcomings, and I don't mean just
the lack of multi-output or monitor hotplug or GPU acceleration or
tearing or timings based on nothing but timers; I recall VT-switching
being broken for years now, and it doesn't (cannot?) use logind to open
the FB devices. Did I forget some?

Thanks,
pq