Someone asked if the night scenes on TAGS were actually filmed at night or
during the day.  I wasn't going to answer this because I'm no expert on the
subject, but since no one else has, I will give what information I have.

If a night scene was shot on a soundstage, then they simply lit the scene to
produce a night-time look.  They did have a set of the outside of the
courthouse and barbershop.  You can tell whether the scene was shot on a
soundstage or on the 40-acres lot by examining the lighting.

If they wanted to shoot an exterior night-time scene, they actually did the
filming during the day.  Back in the black-and-white days, this was pretty
simple.  As I understand it, they put a red filter over the lens to boost
contrast and make the sky darken, then underexposed the shot to make the scene
look dark.  (Any of you photographers who shoot/shot black-and-white film will
understand about the red filter.)

In many exterior scenes, you can tell that they were really shot during the day
because (unless the scene was shot entirely in shadow) the main light source,
presumably the moon, is way too strong to be moonlight.  If the scene includes
a moving vehicle, it will have its headlights on to give the impression that
the driving is being done at night, but the lights only show up so well because
of the underexposure and filtration.  There aren't too many scenes like this on
TAGS, but I've noticed them more often on shows such as "Perry Mason" because
much of the action takes place at night and somebody's usually driving
somewhere.

When you know what you're looking for, you can easily spot whether night scenes
in old TV shows or movies have been shot by artificial light on a soundstage or
by daylight on location.

Thelma Lou
(Janet)