Hey,

I am a native Tarheel from Rockingham, NC. now living
in SC.

Growing up "Tea" was sweet iced tea.  Never had to
specify sweet or with ice.  Now if you wanted "Hot
Tea" you just had to ask for "Hot Tea"

As for Cokes, yep, "Coke" was universal for any kind
of soft drink, although in South Carolina, "Pepsie" is
more commonally used but is also universal for any
kind of soft drink.

Another interesting point, sometimes, if not more
often, we just say, "Hey you wanna drink?"  A "drink"
is the most commong of all terms refereing to a soft
drink.

We never used the word "Soda", "Pop", or
"Unsweetend Tea", but have heard these terms used on
tv and movies.

Not to mention Grits.  Now Grits has got to be one of
the most misunderstood food items.  It you have not
had a nice bowl of creamy smooth grits, salted and
buttered, you just don't know what you are missing.
But, I don't think I ever saw grits on the table at
Andy's house.

My wife and I just visited L.A. a few weeks ago for
the first time.  Went into McDonalds in Burbank and
the wife asked for "Tea" and guess what she got to her
surprise????  "Hot Tea" We had some fun with that, and
a good laugh with the employees.

Now, things have changed a little over the past few
years in the Carolinas, with all of the migration of
northern neighbors and when you go into most easting
places you will find equal, sweet and low, sugar and
the yellow stuff on the table, for those who ask for
unsweet tea.  Hee, heee

So, if you come visit me and ask for tea, you will get
sweet, iced tea, and if you want a drink, you will
probably
get a pepsi, coke, or something similar.  And, we
always have Grits!

I appreciate being able to come here and chat with you
all.

Yall have a good'n

Tim
South Carolina