It's nice that someone else shares my thoughts on Paul Hartman (Emmett).
Not being negative, but those that don't/won't give the color episodes a
chance are missing out on some really good comedy from both Paul Hartman and
Jack Dodson (Howard Sprague).  My favorite episode of all time, including
the black and white ones, was on TV LAND last night (Tuesday), HOWARDS NEW
LIFE.  This episode allows Jack Dodson to show his acting range from comedy
scenes to very serious scenes.

Mike "My pot of gold is right here in Mayberry" Creech