we have been getting on the Digest, may I lay in on my side of the issue. (Of
course,
it is merely our own opinion since the writers never did answer this question
for us.)
I have to believe that Thelma Lou did not know about Juanita.  Yes, I know
there was probably talk about it and Mayberry was a small town.  But we DO know
that
Thelma Lou was perfectly capable of acting jealous and angry when she did know
that Barney may have strayed (ex., Fun Girls, Melissa) so I don't believe there
is
any real reason to believe she would have taken Juanita "lying down."
Remember how she reacted with both Andy and Gomer to make Barney jealous just
at the thought of Barney having another girl?
Thelma Lou wasn't a quiet girl in these matters.  And I for one do not believe
she
would have behaved any differently over Juanita.  She just never found out as
hard to believe as that may seem for some of us to believe.   In any event, we
will never know the real  answer to that question.
All we do know is that when Barney left Mayberry, she left too and she married
soon after.  But it was a failed marriage.  So sad.  All those years wasted
that  could have been spent  together.
   Remember the class reunion?   He acted all sad and lonely  when he found out
Thelma Lou had married until
another girl showed him some interest, and then he perked up real
quick.  This was probably done to end the show on a happy note, but it sure
left me feeling like Barney's love for Thel was not all that deep, and maybe
that was the real reason why he had not asked her to marry him in the first
place.  And you
can't really blame him for not marrying her if his love wasn't deep enough no
matter how WE felt  about it.
How did you feel?  Based on his actions, DID Barney love Thelma Lou enough to
marry her years earlier?
The girls at the Dime Store have been talking this one up,
Lydia and Laura Lee Hobbs

P.S.  What did Aunt Bee think of Juanita?