Having been involved in Don Knotts getting nominated for his Star on the
Walk of Fame, I can shed a little light on that subject.  The celebrities
themselves do not pay for the Star, but whoever nominates the celebrity is
responsible for a $15,000.00 fee.  By the way, Don Knotts star was the first
to have the $15,000 fee, prior to that, the fee was $7,500.00.  Whenever
someone nominates a celebrity, then if the Walk of Fame committee selects
that celebrity as a recipient, that's when the fee is due.  In Don Knotts
case, I helped another person collect donations from both celebrities and
fans to pay for half and TV LAND paid the other half.  Unfortunately, the
other person had promised to send photo's of Don receiving his Star to
everyone that contributed $5 or more, but he never got around to doing that.

Mike Creech