Peggy, I've wondered about this every time I see that episode too. Here's what I conjecture. Remember Sarah's mother fell down in the bowling alley? Well maybe she never quite recovered and she stayed home from the picnic to mind the switchboard and just was not as quick to answer so missed Helen's pickup altogether. Being older too (I assume), she might never have made the connection later on even if she did notice it. I've often thought how the news might've gotten out later and upset Barney to the max! Bless his heart!!! Aunt Bee of Orlando