I was searching for info on a certain Dick Van Dyke Show that I have
never seen, but would like to, and I found out it this episode
influenced Sheldon Leonard:

>From a 21st-century point of view, it seems ridiculous to praise a
series for using African-American actors in roles other than maids or
railroad porters. But when The Dick Van Dyke Show premiered, the world
of prime-time sitcoms was a different place. Even though the Civil
Rights movement was slowly progressing, TV was still dragging its feet
when it came to change. As a result, one of the most popular episodes
of The Dick Van Dyke Show – “That’s My Boy?” – almost didn’t make it
to film. In the episode, exhausted and overwrought new dad Rob was
convinced that the hospital had sent him and Laura home with the wrong
baby. A couple named Peters had welcomed a baby in the same hospital
on the same day, in a similar hospital room number, and the Petries
had even received some of the Peters’ gifts in error. The comedic (and
controversial) payoff to the episode arrived when Mr. and Mrs. Peters
visited the Petrie household and were revealed to be a black couple,
played by Greg Morris and Mimi Dillard. The positive response from the
studio audience gave producer Sheldon Leonard the confidence to sign
Bill Cosby for a co-starring role in a new series he was producing, I
Spy.

--
Ted
(Theodoric of York)