On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Sue Doughty wrote:

> Can the birth date either be removed or be made an optional entry on the sign
> up screen?

Hey Sue,

I understand your concern and I'm sorry but no, There is a legal
requirement to make sure that persons under 13 years of age be handled
differently than normal. (i.e. they must be protected differently)

Because of that legal requirement, I don't have any choice about the
birth date requirement.  You can hide, and by default that's the
selection, your entire birthday from everyone on the site.

I can't quickly address your concerns about identity theft because
that is a valid concern but in order to be a part of much of what
happens online, folks will have to make that decision for themselves.

I have so much information out on the web that I really have no
expectation of safety so I've gone out and found other ways to protect
myself. (I use LifeLock)

I certainly understand trying to stay safe and continue to do my best
to keep visitors to my web sites information safe as well.

Each person will need to make their own decision and I completely understand.

That said, I hope most of you will choose to join in with us and
accept the small risk.

--Allan
http://iMayberryCommunity.com