I think Andy was probably in the Miltary Police, continued that line of
work when he returned home. My theory is, his wife could have possibly been
murdered in a revenge case where someone had a loved one put in prison
because  of Andy. Theory, not fact!!  Darwin's theory became fact but mine
never
will!!!
Anyway, the time lines of graduations, etc, can vary because this show was
not a serial...i.e. a continuing show, but a situation comedy, changing the
 people for the situation, such as Mrs. Bendlemright...er... Mendelbright
and Big  Maude.  And Alan Melvin...how many different people did he play!!
Some had recurring roles but most had situation roles....glad Mr. Schwamp
was so  consistent, though!!
Old Man Kelsey