The finger snapping in The Andy Griffith Theme was originally performed by
composer Earle Hagen's eleven-year-old son Deane. Once Sheldon Leonard approved
it, they had to re-record it later with someone else doing the snapping,
because Deane was not a member of the musicians union. Earle always did the
whistling himself in every version, including Return to Mayberry.

I double-checked this with the boys at the lab (TAGSRWC headquarters, that is).
And by the way, "The Andy Griffith Theme" is the correct original title. It did
not come to be called "The Fishin' Hole" until later, when lyrics were added.

Paul Mulik