I like to compare prices and costs from TAGS (and other shows) to today's
prices, just for comparison purposes. For TAGS, if you multiply the prices
by 8, that gives a rough idea of what the cost would be today.  So, whether
it is the price of haircuts at Floyd's, or the cost of a bag of potatoes ar
Foley's Market, or something for sale at Weaver's, or the cost of a cup of
coffee at the diner, it's kind of fun to see what those things would cost
today.

Some of the items seem very close to what today's prices would be, some,
like groceries, seem low when adjusted for inflation - but others prices
seem very high, in comparison. For instance, in "The Church Organ", the
$2,000 cost of that used organ would be almost $17,000 today, which seems
very high to me. And when Andy was fined $25 for fishing without a license,
that would be over $200 today - same with the cost of a wedding license in
a couple episodes - seems pretty high. And, when Barney almost walked out
of Weaver's carrying the can opener with an umbrella, Mr. Weaver told him
to put it back or fork over $1.75 - that would be more than $14 today!  One
more example - when Andy raised Opie's allowance to $.27 a week from $.25 a
week at the end of the Spoiled Kid episode - that would still be only a
little over 2 bucks a week in today's dollars - pretty small.

 I wonder if the prop department/set designer/writers used current actual
prices when coming up with the written signs, etc. - or just took some
guesses. Just some interesting food for thought.

JOE from G.I.