Here is the code.  I'm trying to input the information using windows
scripting host in a .vbs file.  If that makes a difference I'm not sure.

        strSql = "Select * From tblproapp_cat where esnum = '" & strES & "'
AND revnm = '" & strRevision & "'"

      set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
        set rsItem = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

        objConn.Open(strconn)
        rsItem.Open strSql, objConn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic,
adCmdText

        esnum = rsItem("esnum")
        msgbox(totcount & " " & esnum & " " & err.number & " " &
err.description)

        rsItem("cstname") = strCust      ' Customer Name inputed by user
        rsItem.Update
        msgbox(totcount & " " & esnum & " " & err.number & " " &
err.description)

        rsItem.Close
        Set rsItem = Nothing