Cheryl,
I always have a had time grasping the concept of <td> and get confused easily
by it. One thing I'm realizing is how rusty I am with all this. I know web
designers hate NN 4.X but a lot of users really like it still. Oh hell, I
think some of us just don't like change. I see a browser as a tool and if it
ain't broke I don't have any inclination to fix it. Appallingly, sometimes I
go to pages where the stuff is all over the place and I just don't care. I now
know it's because the page wasn't designed for my browser but as long as I can
find the information in the text somewhere on the page I really don't care
what the page looks like. But I'm a text-oriented research person and it's not
surprising it's taken me this long to toss some pix onto the site and then
only after some judicious carping from a board member. It's easy for the web
site to get lost in the demands of my overall job.

The missing </td> tags created most of the havoc on that page. It amazed me to
put it in andt hen watch the picture or text move right to where I wanted it.
Some of it is still kind of butt ugly with too much white space but I'm not
going to fuss with that now. I miss the days of literal cut and paste (sticky
wax) of paste up and layout for offset printing. I love many aspects of
digital life but could live without others.

I read your style directions and noticed you define the font size in ems. Just
once per page, I notice. That's nice.

I agree the black on white is easier to read. My agency wants to keep to the
dark green and white, though. I think we're going to revisit the whole site
soon and I can do a couple of example pages with black text and see what the
members think. When I first put the site up we set up a laptop in the board
room and only one or two people looked at it.

I left justified the bottom links within their cell of the table (uh, once I
managed to find it). That justification's a leftover from desktop publishing,
it's what you'd do in a newsletter so it looks "out there in space" to me
whenever I center it. I'd love to take a course in basic principles of design
soon.

I only have ONE folder for images. I put the text of the test page into a
separate folder marked "test" but didn't do anything special to tell the page
where to find the images. I was happy it found them by itself. The page is now
on the server out of the "test" folder and with all its mates in the main
site. The images continue in their usual folder. Though it looks messy to have
those ../s in the code, it seems to work that way; but when I took the ../ out
of the code when the page was still in the "test" folder it didn't work at
all. At least now I'll know what those ../s are next time I see them.

I joined the HTML Writer's Guild when it first started, tried to anyway, but
never heard back from them. I'll have to join again. I should find a DW user's
group also. Soon.

Thank you for your help.
Sherry

To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:wdvltalk-join@;lists.wdvl.com