On Thursday, January 2, 2003, 3:55:43 AM, astralgirl ... commented:

a> A web content developer sounds more like a programmer to me.

No, a web content developer is the person who decides what
TEXT and resources are going on the web site.

The designer is doing graphics, layout, navigation, etc. -
the content developer is filling it all in.

And it is very possible to be both - I am - but generally
that would happen if 1 person works for a company that is
large enough for "running the website" to be a full time
job, but small enough that the job can be handled by one
person.

I call myself "webmaster" or sometimes "internet information
services director" when I want to get fancy, and in my job I
am responsible for everything from running the servers to
programming and coding the sites to putting up content.
Sometimes I create my own content (I write an article and
post it), sometimes I modify something else that is already
written, sometimes my company sends me something and says
"put it on the website" and I just figure out where it ought
to go. I also answer or redirect most of the email that
comes into the site, too - :)

It's great fun, but it means I have to know my company's
business the same way I would if I were managing a
real-world store or retail outlet.  I can do this because of
the way my position developed - I was an office manager for
the company and also edited their newsletter, and once upon
a time the website was just one more little thing I was
supposed to be in charge of. The website grew and grew and
gobbled up all my time, but it was my favorite thing, and
also the one part of my job I was really good at, so now I'm
in charge of all-things-internet-related and not much else.

-Abigail