Depending on the complexity of the image it could be either format. The more
complex an image is in terms of number of colors/graduations of color the
more likely jpg will provide better results. But if you are using Photoshop
why don't you simply try both and see which one gives you an image
quality/size you are happy with. That's what I usually do in Fireworks,
export for the web, preview in gif & jpg at various compression levels until
I get one that has the best size/quality ratio and go with that one.

If you need transparency you will be limited to gif format for broadest
compatibility.

Cheryl D. Wise
WiserWays
Office: 713.353.0139