> But later I turned down to classes since those
> offer more advantages and are easier to manage. But are they faster
> and do they really provide performance increases?

Personally I've always been taught 2 things

(1) Sofware design is more important than anything else
(2) Make it work first, then optimise.

If you have good software design, you develop faster, and its cheaper to do.. and
the rest of those good things.

If you develop something that works, then find the bottlenecks, then you actually
KNOW where the bottlenecks are, rather than guessing.

Sure there are plenty of little tips and tricks you do during coding to make stuff a
bit faster... but just just because you could write everything inline and make it run
faster? Would you? hell no.. can't read it worth diddley squat.

Final comment - your BIGGEST slowdown on a site is your Database Queries. If
you want to make things optimised, work there. Cache your queries, design your
DB better, and write concise SQL that does ALL the work you need it to, without
having to get your code (ASP, PHP, whatever) to do any additional work.
(I have a pet peeve about this... people are lazy with their SQL)

Hope that makes sense.

Feel free to disagree ;o)

Mark

[EMAIL PROTECTED]