> Can I add a 'me too please' to Peter's request.    The difference is I start
> from incompetence in the area.    My site host is 34sp which I think has
> good facilities for such a thing.    I am just putting together a book which
> I would like to be securely available only to those who pay.    And I am
> with PayPal.
>
> I'm hoping to have this ready to go within a few weeks.   Any advice on what
> I might sensibly need, exactly (oh! and I do mean exactly) where everything
> should go and how to get it working.
>
> I see from my logs that I get a very wide range of browsers (including NN4)
> so I would prefer to be guided to something that is likely to work
> everywhere (if that is possible).   I have a simple set-up for an earlier
> book, but it is not protected at all, except that the page url is not
> obvious!
>
> Thanks for all suggestions
>
> Joseph

Okay, I'm willing to help (as are others), but as I said, it requires some
server side scripting and any specific examples will be language
dependant, so if you'll let us know what server side language we're
talking about, we can take a stab (yeesh, I feel like I've got a frog in
my pocket, with all those "we's").

Without getting language specific and speaking in broad generalities:  I
would say you'd need to have the user register and log in before you send
them off to Paypal.  Upon receipt of notification of payment from Paypal
(I have no clue how their system works), note this in the database.  The
page that has the downloads should check to see if the user is logged in
and if they have authorization to download (they made payment), if they
don't meet this criteria, redirect them to a page that states they are not
authorized for that resource.  At its simplest, this could be done with a
single table in the database.

Wow, hopefully that was some help.  It's late here and my brain's too
Amstel-addled to tell if I'm making sense :)

-Stephen
http://www.mechavox.com