Does your scanner have an OCR option? If so, I would try that so that it scans it in as text instead of an image.

You may have to make some corrections though. It's been a while since I used OCR with a scanner, but I do remember having to make some corrections to the text. The OCR did not recognize some letters correctly and replaced them with a different character or a number. I'm sure the technology has improved in the last 4 years.

Good luck!

Janet