Galatek Webmaster wrote:

Ok guys, ive got an annoying issue. CSS based I guess. Im putting my site
http://www.galatekinc.com/ to a major revision, and while testing it I
noticed that a small menu I have on the left hand side has a problem. When
the cursor goes over the "Generator Gawl" link, it highlights the way I want
but then it also covers all of the choices above it; it is the only link
that does that. The CSS class code for its properties and the HTML code for
the menu follow:

HTML
<A CLASS="highlightbox" HREF="/anime/ranma.html">Ranma 1/2</A><br>
<A CLASS="highlightbox" HREF="/anime/kurumi.html">Steel Angel Kurumi</A><br>
<A CLASS="highlightbox" HREF="/anime/gawl.html">Generator Gawl</A><br>
<--- This is the problem link
<A CLASS="highlightbox" HREF="/anime/trigun.html">Trigun</A><br>
<A CLASS="highlightbox" HREF="/anime/801tts.html">801 TTS</A><br>

The CSS concerning the HTML code

div.highlightbox {background: gray; color: yellow; text-align: center}
a.highlightbox {color: white; text-decoration: none}
a.highlightbox:hover {color: yellow; border: thin groove silver}

Thanks in advance

Charles R King
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Galatek Incorporated/Wanderers Haven

Charles R King
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Galatek Incorporated/Wanderers Haven

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.

Hello Charles,

Perhaps the problem is the web browser version you are using that renders the navigation links the way you see them.

In Netscape 7.1 all the links render correctly, none overlap any other link. The grooved border is not grooved because you used "Thin" instead of a pixel size, the thin border is too "Thin" for Netscape to render a groove.

In Internet Explorer 6.0pr1 all of your links render correctly, and here the border is grooved because IE renders "Thin" with a groove 3 pixels in size.

You have one major problem with the menu, you have not set a pixel size for the fonts used in the menu, as a result the title "
Steel Angel Kurumi" wraps in IE causing what appears as a double link. Netscape's font sizing for what ever you used renders the text smaller than IE so it does not wrap the link.

My suggestion is to set the border size to 3px and the font-size to 12px, or what ever looks good without wrapping the link.

By using font sizing with pixels you will come closer to creating a web page that looks almost identical in all web browsers, even on a Mac.

Michael Gordon

--
Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...