Hi Dominique,

> So, I'm assuming that other people are using the
> same kind of dumb popup guards which block every
> new window. [...] Can I get some feedback as to
> how some of you are handling this?

The only truly safe way to avoid your popups being blocked is not to use
popups :-)

If you must use them, James Craig posted a great method to the webdesign-l
list last night:

> You may want to set the window.open function to
> a reference and then check the existence of the
> window before returning false.
>
> Something like:
> onclick="var W=window.open('lab1.pdf','W','width=650,
> height=500'); return W?false:true;"
>
> I've got a working demo listed here:
> <http://www.cookiecrook.com/AIR/2003/train/jsexamples.php>

IOW your links should look like this:

W=window.open('foo.html','W','width=650,height=500'); return
W?false:true;">link text</a>

The idea being that if the javascript attempt to open a popup doesn't work
(either it doesn't run, or it runs but fails to open the popup), the normal
link behaviour cuts in and it opens in the window it was called from.

As I only read this five minutes ago I haven't tested it yet, but it
certainly looks like it's worth investigating.

Cheers
Jon