Paypal is great for small sites that don't have a large
amount of stuff to sell and/or update often.  There is no
back office, no database, no dynamic anything whatsoever,
so each change to the products in the store must be done in
the web page itself. If the client has to update their cart
often, they either have to pay you, or learn a bit of HTML.
 So, the other option is to find a cart that works with
paypal, yet has a database of sorts that lets the client
manage their products.

I am in no way an expert on shopping carts so there may be
other reasons, but this one is the one that I have run
across in my experience.

Jenni