I think I've found a solution for this.  I found a utility that will query
active directory then query the machines that are online.  Thank you for
your help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Caudill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 12:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [wdvltalk] RE: XML help (I'm a beginner)

--------------- Hoenig, Robert wrote: ---------------

: I've been given the task of getting PC and user information from
: Active directory and from the pc's (WMI).  I've written the
: scripts to pull the information and they currently write the data
: to a text file and an HTML file.  I'm thinking that having the
: data written to XML/XSL format would be more flexible because I
: want to display it on our intranet and give the user the option
: to download it.  If someone could point me in the write direction
: I can take it from there.
:
: Thanks in advance.
: Robert
:

Robert,
  I've no experience scripting for AD, so I don't know what format it
returns data in, but you might look into what formats you can
extract info from it in.  Are you looking to do a transformation
on the HTML?  If so, it could be troubled waters ahead, though it might not
be...

heres one possible scenario (in a perfect world):

- AD spits out XML natively (am I spitting in a bucket here?)
- Use XSL to transform this into browser markup

or... (less fun, more likely)
- AD spits out HTML 3.2 or 4.0 and thats it
- fervent scripting (regex and your server side language) ensues
  in a desparate attempt to make this cruddy html xml compliant
- XSL transformation to something useful follows

might be able to be of some real help with some more info...

hth,
Stephen
http://www.mechavox.com/

http://www.messagelabs.com