Hi Matt

> As a quick Aside, if you're running Gentoo Linux, it has three
> directories in /etc called cron.hourly, cron.daily and cron.monthly
> Any scripts put in these dirs will automatically be run by cron at the
> appropriate time...

Nice thought - but I'm putting this solution on the (RH7)  ISP server where
our sites are hosted.  Somehow don't think I will get near the /etc folder
:-)

Mind you, all php scripts were running as root till a few weeks ago, when
they suddenly realised this might not be the most secure way of doing
things....

Anyway it's all working nicely now.  Three scripts called dailybackup.sh,
weekly- and monthly- all executed by cron at the appropriate date/time, with
a Web page to manage them online, safely backing up all the mySQL databases
in the various domains, and emailing copies of the most important ones
off-site.  Luuuuvly.

Happy holidays everybody
Bj