----- Original Message -----
Sent: January 22, 2004 8:47 AM
Subject: [wdvltalk] RE: [OT] Is M$ trying to pirate XML?

> I remember that an older version of WordPerfect had SGML.  Plus, they
had
> the first wordprocessing software that did HTML.  Please correct me if
I'm
> wrong but isn't XML just a subset of SGML?  A decaf version (XML)
versus
> expresso (SGML)?
>
> I hope the Patent Office says no.  As they're just using something
that
> already exists.

It's been described as a "subset" by some, as it is based on it in some
ways but requires different tools to implement. XML is like a cross
between SGML and HTML. It has the flexibility developers need to define
types of content and how they are related while being less complex than
full-blown SGML. Since for all practical purposes it encompasses HTML,
existing Web content can remain as it currently stands. Because it has
most of the power of SGML, a single tagged text document could
conceivably drive not only display of Web sites, but production of paper
documents.
Here's an old conversation about subset:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-sgml-wg/1996Nov/0058.html
I just happen to be redoing a site for someone that was involved with
this as far back as '92,
http://markgroen.com/sagebrush/archives/index.htm
but the history actually starts about 1986 and earlier if you include
it's development:
http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm

I haven't read the patent application myself, but suspect they are
actually just trying to patent a certain process they are doing with
their Word/Office documents, actually using xml or sgml is like using
javascript in that anyone can write code for it. On the other hand, we
are talking about M$ here eh, so I could be completely wrong.

hth!

cheers,

        Mark

MG Web Services