sure it can be done

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering if there is a way to check if a field in a form has been
>left blank and, if it is, not have it appear on the e-mail (that I get
>from the form processor.)
>
>For example, my code is:

>        <input type="checkbox" name="Butternut Squash Soup"
>value="Butternut Squash Soup" size="2" />
>        <input name="Butternut Squash Soup quantity" type="text" size="2"
>maxlength="5" />
>
>I want people to be able to check the checkbox if they want the item and
>then put in the quantity in the "quantity" box.  If they don't check the
>box, nothing for that item comes back on the form. When I get the form
>back, it has all the quantity items, even if they didn't enter a
>quantity.
>Am I making any sense?

do not put spaces in the form element names (name=Butternut_Squash_Soup)
is good.

in the <form ..> tag add something like onSubmit=validate_form() like

<form name=f1 method=post action="your_url" onSubmit=" return
validate_f1(this);">
</form>

now somewhere in the <head> part put something like

<script language="javascript">
function validate_f1(f) {

if ( !f.Butternut_Squash_Soup.selected)
    f.Butternut_Squash_Soup_Quantity.value='';

}

put other form elements that u want to check in this function.

(NOTE this is untested. check a javascript book to get correct syntax)

HTH
R'twick