Hi Riley

IMO it depends on what you're trying to acheive with your Flash movie. If
animation and basic interactivity is what you're after then there's no point
in shelling out a fortune for the full Macromedia Flash because you're only
going to use a tiny fraction of its functionality. However if you're going
to be creating full data-driven, media rich applications for web delivery
then I don't see anything on the market that can touch Flash MX 2004.

I agree that Flash is difficult at first but you pick things up very quickly
as you just dive in and emerse yourself in it.

Jan:
I would debate though that Flash is an expensive piece of software. True it
may be the most expensive tool on the market for what it does (not that
Adobe's LiveMotion was cheap before it was discontinued), but if you compare
its price and functionality to other media applications (Macromedia's own
Director for example) then I'd say it was very nicely priced. But again it
depends on what you're doing with it. Unless you're a super marketing wiz
it'll take you a while to cover the costs of Flash if you're just doing
animations, whereas a full web app (like Macromedia's new online store)
could well cover Flash in one go...

Just my thoughts

MOU