Fear not Deb, you don't have to be a db person.  You've just got to be
able to interpret legal mumbo jumbo.  HIPAA is the 'Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act' which is all about infomation
privacy.  The Sarbanes-Oxley Act requires all publicly held US
businesses to gather and retain large amounts of data on employees,
much of which is HIPAA protected.   Here's a tidbit from:

http://www.outerbay.com/compliance.html

<quote>
To achieve compliance, the company must set and enforce data retention
policy, then archive inactive data in an accessible format. WhatÆs
more, records must be tamper-proof and able to survive potential
system changes, even the retirement of the application itself.
</quote>

Which, incidentally I came across by googling "hippa and
sarbanes-oxley".  Always look before you ask.

- Stephen