From: "PBC Web Design" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 3:55 PM
Subject: [wdvltalk] Re: please explain: hippa and sarbanes-oxley

Stephen,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ..... THAT hippa!  Well, that's a good start anyway - at
least I know it deals w/the privacy act. Thanks for the link, I've
bookmarked it.  I will however, have to figure out apparently what this has
to do w/developing a database for a web site but at least the link you sent
is more or less understandable to me somewhat, thank you.  The little bit
I've read seems more geared to the client having to keep these records
about their company and employees but maybe it will become more clear why
this would have to do w/me getting them a database developed after I do
some more reading.  Thanks again.

Deb

At 02:41 PM 9/20/2004, you wrote:
>Fear not Deb, you don't have to be a db person.  You've just got to be
>able to interpret legal mumbo jumbo.  HIPAA is the 'Health Insurance
>Portability and Accountability Act' which is all about infomation
>privacy.  The Sarbanes-Oxley Act requires all publicly held US
>businesses to gather and retain large amounts of data on employees,
>much of which is HIPAA protected.   Here's a tidbit from:
>
>http://www.outerbay.com/compliance.html
>
><quote>
>To achieve compliance, the company must set and enforce data retention
>policy, then archive inactive data in an accessible format. WhatÆs
>more, records must be tamper-proof and able to survive potential
>system changes, even the retirement of the application itself.
></quote>
>
>Which, incidentally I came across by googling "hippa and
>sarbanes-oxley".  Always look before you ask.
>
>- Stephen

____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____
To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.