-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Clutterbuck

Good Job Stephen!

Re your image replacement for the title - exactly which "flavour" are you
using? I don't think I've seen one which uses an empty <span>. My personal
preference is styling the <h1> with the background image and relevant sizes
and then nesting a <span> inside that <h1>. That nested <span> is then
styled with display:none to hide it. The only delay I then experience is the
time it takes to download the image (which is always a factor anyway so
resolving that is a different issue).

The only downside to this approach is a browser configured with CSS on and
Images off as the <h1> box will be rendered but nothing will show up in it.

I thought this might have something to do with what BlueRobot calls the
"Flash of Unstyled Content" but the rest of the CSS loads in fine - could be
worth a double-check though: http://www.bluerobot.com/web/css/fouc.asp

Apart from that it's looking good and onwards with XHTML+CSS!!! I sincerely
hope there are some of those more CSS-loathing table-based designers out
there who's seen this page...THIS is what we are talking about, and the code
is so much cleaner than the nested junk that table-based design will churn
out.

To change subscription settings or add a password: