Joseph,

No, it's not new at all. In fact, IIRC it was one of the first dodges the scumbags used back when spamming was a relatively unsophisticated scattergun process, back before the sub-genres of pharming, phishing, etc. came on the scene. There is mass-mailing software available which will spider Usenet newsgroups, Web sites, etc. looking for email addresses and creating just the kind of message you're describing.

As scams go, it's relatively unsophisticated and easy to avoid. Common sense email "best practices" will prevent it from having effect. Here are some of the ways I protect myself:

1. Use the latest version of your email client. It is more likely to have the most recent security updates and features installed. NOTE: It is generally advisable to wait a couple of weeks after a release to be sure that no problems have been found with the new version.

2. Configure your client to suit your degree of paranoia. The version of OE 6 installed with XP SP2, for example, can be (finally!) damned near locked down tight if you don't mind some of the inconvenience entailed as a result. These are a few of the measures I have taken (OE6):
   a) Set the security level to restricted zone (Tools|Options|Security).
b) Turn off the preview pane (View|Layout| Show preview pane). This will prevent any scripted content within HTML emails from running just because you move focus to that email. To me, this is also more convenient; I can see many more messages without the preview pane, and in many cases a quick scan through the subject lines will reveal messages to delete without even opening. c) If you are using OE 6 (SP2), set your Read options (Tools|Options|Read) to "Read all messages in plain text." This is a relatively recent, and very overdue and very welcome, addition to OE's options. It somewhat obviates step b) in that HTML content is not displayed, nor can scripts run, by default when this is set. If, like me, you receive a lot of HTML email from newsletters, vendors, friends and relatives, etc., no problem. To view an email you trust in HTML, just open it and either press Alt-Shift-H or click View|Message in HTML. d) For the truly paranoid, you can also set OE to not download "suspicious" attachments (Tools|Options|Security|"Do not allow attachments to be saved... "). Unfortunately, OE's definition of attachments which might be a problem is, to my mind, overly broad. I leave this one turned off, but YMMV. It would be nice if, in the next iteration, Microsoft provided an ellipsis button for that setting so that the user could configure what kind of attachments they feel comfortable downloading. (Are you listening, Redmond?) e) In the same menu, you can also set OE to not download images in HTML mail. Here again, "web bugs" were one of the earlier spammer techniques to emerge, and they work in pretty much any email client which can display graphics. The trick is to place an invisible (white-on-white) one pixel image file in the message. When the email client dutifully goes to fetch the image, the referrer information passed to the server serving the image includes all sorts of interesting information about you, including your IP address, and confirming that (1) the address can now be placed into the "known good" category, and (2) that you're the sort of person who opens emails from unknown sources containing possibly compromised content. I don't bother with this setting because I employ c) above.

There are other setup steps that you can take that I have probably forgotten to mention. The point is that if you set up your client for a reasonably high level of security, that particular door into your system will remain closed. A few other practices added to this will protect against pretty much anything they can throw at you, to wit:

1) Use a firewall that warns you of both incoming and outgoing traffic, such as ZoneAlarm. That way, if a bad-nasty does make it on to your system, say by installing some piece of "freeware" that harbors "call home" malware, you will be notified when it tries to contact its creator and can take steps to eradicate it.

2) NEVER open executable attachments from strangers, period. And use caution, the definition of "executable" is becoming more and more broad. For example, a screensaver, extension scr, is nothing more than an exe file with the scr extension. Others might include macros (the famous Melissa trojan comes to mind), bat (batch), pif, and cmd files, and HTML with embedded scripting.

3) Even if the message comes from a friend, or appears to, it may not be safe. One of the first tricks the scumbags developed was to install a trojan that scanned the victim's address book and sent itself out to all his contacts. This was quite effective for a while, since people generally presumed that mail from a friend was non-threatening. Some characteristics to look for follow: a) Are you expecting the email? For example, your daughter says she sending you pictures of her wedding (new baby, vacation, hysterectomy, whatever). Later that day you receive mail from your daughter with attached images. It's a reasonably safe assumption that they're safe. b) Are either the subject line or the message body consistent with what you would expect from the source? Although scumware is becoming more intelligent, there's no robot yet written that can mimic the style of an infected sender, the vocabulary, style, syntax, grammar, consistently misspelled words, etc. In fact, many such messages contain text which resembles the Japanglish from a cheap user's manual.

In the final case, if you suspect that it might be legit but aren't sure, simply email the source. "Hey, did you send me a file named I-might-just-be-safe.exe by any chance?" will go a long way to preventing grief.

Like I said, all pretty much common sense stuff. Unfortunately, Voltaire's observation that, "Common sense is not so common," is what keeps the scumbags going. Many people are either too lazy to bother with setting up their security properly, or in these "everybody's on the Internet" days, too unaware of the issues, dangers, and precautions involved in self-protection online.

Of course, I suppose I shouldn't bitch. I make a nice bit of coin every time I spend part of an evening at a client's house eradicating the various electronic vermin infecting his/her system, and reconfiguring and setting up the machine so that it starts up in under 15 minutes and runs for more than twenty without crashing or becoming unusable because of the scumware. C'est la vie.

Cheers,
Scott
.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>