Scott Glasgow wrote:

Not at all. Maybe whatever can be found to resolve this issue will help others here.

Sorry about the lack of context; I usually try to remember to trim messages when they get pretty long in a thread, which is good for low-bandwidth folks but means context is lost in later messages.

I'm trying to duplicate the menu effects at Eric Meyer's Pure CSS Popups (http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html ; mouse over the links in the menu on the left), which work just fine on my machine in IE 6 and Firefox. However, the two pages I have created on the target site do not demonstrate this effect. Firefox does work as expected, but IE does not. To view the effects (in Firefox; nothing will change in IE), go to http://www.earhartrefrig.com/ and click on the "Sales" menu item (which currently links to a Services test page). Mouse over any of the image labels on the left of the page and the Services List appears, with a red background. Do the same in IE and nothing happens other than the expected change in the status bar.

In order to minimize the amount of code to test, I created another, very simple test page, available from the "Contact" menu item at the same site, which contains the minimum amount of code to demonstrate the effect: one div, one anchor, one span containing text, and the relevant CSS. Go there and mouse over the test link and (again, Firefox only) the span text becomes visible. I tried to duplicate Eric's setup as closely as possible, but I must have missed something, because his works and mine doesn't. Perhaps fresh eyes looking at things will see what I cannot. Thanks for taking a look at it.

Cheers,
Scott
.

Scott, you missed the initial declaration of the a:hover state. Look at Meyer's code again. He's got a declaration called div#testDiv a:hover as well as one called div#testDiv a:hover span. You don't. Add that to your test page and the problem is solved.

No idea what the bug is in IE that necessitates this but it seems you have to declare the hover state before you change it.

drew