I've a PC that is not quite a year old and in the past week or two it's developed an inability to shut itself down.

I don't usually switch off at all as I have a broadband connection but we have been away for a couple of weekends in succession and the forecast wasn't good so in case of thunder and lightening I shut down. However, once it has gone through the shutdown procedures, it starts itself up again within two or three seconds! Only way to cure it is to cut off the mains supply.

Any suggestions as to cause or cure before I go back to the supplier please? (The system was assembled to my requirements by a small local supplier from standard parts and has been totally reliable thus far, in use all day every day and no problems). Running WinXP on a 3.3GHz Athlon.

One suggestion has been a faulty BIOS. I'm not that technical but do want to be able to "fight my corner" if I take it back under guarantee (one year and there are about six weeks left!)

TIA

Peter MacGregor