Hi Felix
Thanks for your comments.

The site is a design site, and as such the text size is a deliberate choice - its intrinsic to the design. I deliberately built a fixed width design so I could get everything nicely balanced - the paragraph widths in proportion to the crab, and the gutter widths - all important in this design.

I am aware of the ability to built flexible sites, but I believe it is a design choice, and as such depends on the requirements of the site. In this case, as I will be controlling the content, i know that the fixed size will be ok, and this allows me to control the design and paragraph widths to create the image I wanted for this site. If I bump up the text size a few clicks it still stays readable here.

So this isnt really relevant to the problem - the problem is IE making the floated footer disappear. Im hoping someone can take a glance at the code and see if theres anything obvious.

thanks