From: PBC Web Design [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 11:12 AM
To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
Subject: Re: [wdvltalk] OT: is this a good price on a hard drive?

At 10:40 AM 1/4/2008, you wrote:
>Are you sure that the drive in the old machine is dead, though?  The
>"Missing Operating System" error doesn't necessarily mean that the hard
>drive is dead, it could just be that the bootloader has been wiped (by a
>virus, for example).
>
>When you tried booting from the recovery CD / Windows CD, you may have
>to press a key at the appropriate time to boot from CD, or you may need
>to enter the BIOS setup utility and configure it to boot from the CD
>before attempting to boot from the hard drive.

No, I'm not absolutely positive but I thought
that's what it meant. I tried F8 to try to get
into Safe Mode, no luck. Tried that both w/the
recovery cd and the Win98 cd.  She does think
this was caused by a virus.  Any idea what key
I'd press? If I can get in what do I do then to
find out about the bootloader? Does that just mean it switched on how it
loads?

Deb • Designer @ Digital Mouse Designs • com